5 Months in the Bucket, Now for Number 6 and Here Comes Summer
What Pray Tell Are You Going to do in June to Make You Special
Here we go—why is June so special?
“It’s a smile, it’s a kiss, it’s a sip of wine…it’s summer time”
June is the month with the summer solstice in the northern Hemisphere, the day with the most daylight hours, and the winter solstice in the southern Hemisphere, the day with the fewest daylight hours. Sit back and relish in the science and this beautiful world of ours.
“Summertime and the livin’ is easy”
Porgy & Bess
Did you know June 1st starts off with a bang, today is Global Day of Parents, National Donut Day, and National Olive Day. If you’re so inclined, sprinkle your donuts with olives and gift wrap them for your parents. Ha. All are my favorites so it’s a great way to start off the month.
We also have Father’s Day right around the corner on June 18th. Get ready to celebrate all the dads.
June is loaded with awareness causes—just a few that are celebrated and bring attention to these issues:
- Children’s Awareness takes place in June every year. It is a true focus on the next generation of leaders who will pave the way for our future.
- Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness. It takes the opportunity to spread the word and helps to discuss the disease and other dementias. My father and grandfather suffered with this terrible disease, so I happen to know quite a bit about the symptoms and care—probably more than most.
- PTS (Post Traumatic Stress) Awareness
- National Safety Month
- Pride Month
- National “Bubba” Day, June 2nd. Celebrate with anyone you might know by the name of Bubba, and if not, call them Bubba anyway. This is over the top one of my favorites.
- National Cancer Survivor’s Day, June 4th
- Butterfly Education and Awareness Day, June 4th
- World Environment Day, June 5th
- Children’s Day, June 9th
- Family Health and Fitness Day, June 12th
- Men’s Health Week, June 13th-19th
- As mentioned, Father’s Day, June 18th
- Summer Solstice Day, June 21st (northern hemisphere only)
- Forgiveness Day, June 26th
- Helen Keller Day, June 27th
- Meteor Day, June 30th
This is the start of summer fun, and frankly, you’re just not trying if you can’t find something to celebrate.
“those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer”
Nat King Cole
Together, let’s stay RELEVANT because we’re all important in our own little special way.
Follow us on BoomerGal and check out our weekly blogs on inspiration and life’s experiences.
I’m heading out the door, barefoot to pad around in the freshly mowed grass and to enjoy the start of summer.
Your Number One BoomerGal, Connie.